Sunday, July 13, 2008

Me and Holmes




I love detective novels, especially British detective novels.  Give me a good Agatha Christie novel and a rainy London evening and I'm all set. And a dork. I also love Sherlock Holmes, despite the fact that I haven't read that many Sherlock Holmes books.  What I really love the most, though, are Sherlock Holmes statues.  Yes, I am weird.

On my first trip to London, in 2004, it was important for me to head over to Baker Street (where Holmes' office was). The tube station (on the Hammersmith & City, Metropolitian, Jubilee and Bakerloo lines) is all Sherlock.  There are little tiles with his profile and everything. (The statue is technically on Maryleborn Street).  Since living in London I even spent one evening with Jerome and Javier, in search of Holmes.  Since we so brilliantly went into London without our trusty A to Z's, we wandered around for about 2 hours until we finally found Sherlock.  Around midnight.  In January. Alas, he was all covered in scaffolding, but it didn't stop me from getting a picture.  But, he was all fixed when I went back with Kymberly and Justin. Plus it was light out, and much warmer.  Then, when we headed to Edinburgh we found a statue of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who I am sure you know, created Sherlock Holmes. The statue looks eerily like Sherlock, so I think it counts as a Sherlock statue.  Anyway, I've put up the three pictures of Sherlock I have, all taken this year.  If anyone can tell me where there is a Dr.Watson statue, please do, then I can have a complete set.

Ok, have happy weeks everyone! Enjoy the nice American summer if you are there!

1 comment:

Not to Us... said...

I like Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes too!

If I come visit, you'll have to take me so I can get my picture taken too. =)